Without practice it is almost impossible for a student to continually improve at their instrument. Extra practice is extremely important for every music student on the road to improvement. Although the music teacher cannot be in your home to oversee a consistent practice schedule, there are many ways to encourage an environment at home that encourages consistent a consistent practice routine. There are many valuable comments that all parents should know about, all of which apply to any musical instrument that a student will study.
Practice strategies discussed include:
1. Follow the weekly practice schedule
2. Use a timer to encourage consistent time spent at their musical activities
3. Use Rewards, as necessary
4. Point out the benefits of their hard work, whenever necessary
5. Remind them of the fun they are having while learning
The author of this great article, Jan Taylor, is a local music teacher in Washington State, United States and enjoys teaching music in the local community.